Jude Akuwudike plays Uncle in The Convert which is currently running at the Young Vic until 26 Jan. We’ve posed him 11 Questions to find out more about him and his character:
1. What are you usually doing 10 minutes before the show begins?
I am usually playing music and going over some of my Shona.
2. What was it that first got you interested in theatre?
I first got interested in theatre by watching it.
3. Can you describe your character in The Convert in three words?
He feels disinherited.
4. What can the audience expect from this production that’s different to anything they may have seen before?
They should come in with open hearts, minds and spirits.
5. What language do you wish could speak? Or Do you speak any languages?
I would like to learn to speak many languages from my home country Nigeria. I would also like to speak at least three languages from North, East and Southern Africa.
6. What’s your favourite midnight snack?
I rarely eat late but I love avocado.
7. Who do you think must see this show before it ends its run?
Everyone should see it.
8. What play or film have you seen recently that has had a lasting emotional effect on you and why?
I saw Translations at the National Theatre.
9. What's the most memorable moment from working at the Young Vic?
The most memorable moment was realising my Shona was actually okay.
10. Which country would you like to visit and why?
I would like to visit China or India because I think both are great civilizations.
11. If you could be an animal for one day, which animal would you be?
I would be a fish to experience the world from underwater.
The Convert is now playing at the Young Vic until January 26. Tickets are now sold out but returns may be available on the day of each performance. Speak to our Box Office for more information on 020 7922 2922.