Pamela Nomvete plays Mai Tamba in The Convert which is currently running at the Young Vic until 26 Jan. We’ve posed 11 Questions to find out more about her and her character:
1. What are you usually doing 10 minutes before the show begins?
I'm usually going over my Shona!
2. What was it that first got you interested in theatre?
When I was doing my A levels my best friend asked me to be her partner in a drama festival. Since then I was bitten by the bug of theatre!
3. Can you describe your character in The Convert in three words?
I would describe her as the - Mother of Zimbabwe.
4. What can the audience expect from this production that’s different to anything they may have seen before?
There is heart and soul in this production. Three generations from the African diaspora storytelling together.
5. What language do you wish could speak?
I would love to learn Swahili.
6. What’s your favourite midnight snack?
I am fast asleep at midnight. No snacks!
7. Who do you think must see this show before it ends its run?
8. If your character had a catchphrase, what would it be?
9. What's the most memorable moment you've had at the Young Vic?
The Convert press night.
10. Which country would you like to visit and why?
I would like to visit Cuba.
11. If you could be an animal for one day, which animal would you be?
A unicorn. They seem to straddle the world of fantasy and reality for me.
The Convert is now playing at the Young Vic until January 26. Tickets are now sold out but returns may be available on the day of each performance. Speak to our Box Office for more information on 020 7922 2922.